GEOLOGY WITH MICHAEL CUMMINGS - SEPTEMBER 2023
Ever wonder how the landscape of Harney County came to be? Check out the schedule for Geology of the Northern Great Basin hosted by Michael Cummings.
- DATES: September 21 - 24
- MEALS: provided on site, breakfast and dinner in dining room; lunch table is laid out during breakfast where you pack your own lunch to take in the field.
- Registration: $570 per person
- To register, call the office at 541-493-2629
Led by Michael Cummings
Michael is a retired Professor of Geology from Portland State University and has a long history with Malheur Field Station. He has been leading university and general-interest geology trips in Northern Great Basin for decades.
*Note: Itinerary is subject to change due to weather.
SEPTEMBER 21, THURSDAY
- Evening arrival at MFS
- Introduction to the Field Study
SEPTEMBER 22, FRIDAY
- Miocene welded tuffs at Buena Vista overlook
- Fault zone at the Pueblo Mountains front and the ancient North American continental margin.
- Miocene welded tuffs exposed east of the Pueblo Valley, Borax Lake and geothermal systems in the Alvord/Pueblo valleys.
- Friday evening discussion.
SEPTEMBER 23, SATURDAY
- 16 million year old rhyolites and their relation to the Columbia river Basalt Group.
- Dinner Creek welded tuff and its relation to the Columbia River Basalt Group.
- Littlefield rhyolite and the margin of the Oregon-Idaho graben.
- Western Snake River plain.
- Diatomite deposites and mines.
- Sturday evening discussion.
SEPTEMBER 24, SUNDAY
- Breakfast and depart
To register, call the office at 541-493-2629