BIRDING WITH HARRY FULLER - SEPTEMBER 2023
Join Harry Fuller for a week of birding the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge and Steens Mountain. Participants will be guided around the field station to identify local birds and learn from presentations and discussions with local guides and enthusiasts.
- DATES: September 8 - September 13
- MEALS: Breakfast served at 7 am, sack lunch provided, dinner at 6 pm
Led by Harry Fuller
Fall migration is always interesting in Harney County. Harry has lived in Oregon since 2011. He has been leading birding trips and teaching bird classes since the 1980's He annually leads birding trips for Klamath Bird Observatory, Road Scholar and Golden Gate Audubon.
Harry Fuller author of:
San Francisco’s Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars
Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA
Birding website: http://www.towhee.net
Harry's birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com
SEPTEMBER 8, FRIDAY
- Arrive at MFS, gather for a meet and greet
- Introduction and dinner
- After dinner enjoy a sunset walk around the MFS looking for owls, nighthawks, et al.
SEPTEMBER 9, SATURDAY
- After breakfast we will visit the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters to look for migrants and any vagrants. From there we will bird along Sodhouse Lane, the Narrows and along Hwy 205 north of the refuge.
- Return to MFS for a sack lunch and presentation in the classroom.
SEPTEMBER 10, SUNDAY
- Before breakfast there will be an optional visit to the refuge headquarters
- After breakfast we will head south on Hwy 205, visiting Buena Vista, Krumbo Lake and Benson Pond.
SEPTEMBER 11, MONDAY
- After breakfast, leave MFS and head south on Hwy 205
- We will bird the basalt cliffs along the road, stop at P Ranch and then Page Springs for lunch.
- After lunch we will continue our search for Bobolink or head up into the lower reaches of the Steen Loop. If we can gain access we will also bird Boca Lake. This will depend on Teresa Wick’s availability.
SEPTEMBER 12, TUESDAY
- After breakfast, bird our way north on Hwy 205 to Hwy 78. Then to Hwy 20 south to Chickahominy Reservoir, stopping at Sage Hen Rest Area for lunch. Back to MFS for dinner.
SEPTEMBER 13, WEDNESDAY
- After breakfast, depart to bird the Steen Mountain Loop, starting at the south entrance.
- Sack lunch while out in the field, dinner back at MFS dining hall.
SEPTEMBER 14, THURSDAY
- Breakfast, pack and depart. End of 6 night program!